Drug Allergy Treatment
The allergists at Allergy & Asthma Consultants have over 50 years’ experience and are experts at drug allergy treatment in metro Atlanta. We treat patients with drug allergies at our four allergy clinics conveniently located in Sandy Springs, Roswell, Duluth and Cumming, Georgia.
Diagnosing Drug Allergies
Drug allergies are difficult to are among the most difficult allergies to identify with penicillin-type drug allergies being the only type of drug allergy diagnosable through a skin test.
For other drugs such as anticonvulsants, aspirin, lidocaine, opioid medications including codeine and blood pressure medicine we will conduct a physical evaluation as well as an interview with you to determine what exactly is triggering your allergy.
Drug Allergy Symptoms
- Skin rash
- Swelling in the face, mouth or tongue
- Upset stomach
During your diagnosis session we will ask questions such as:
- What drug do you suspect has caused your reaction?
- When did you begin taking the drug?
- How long after first taking the drug did you notice symptoms of an allergic reaction?
- How long did the allergic reaction last?
- Do you take any additional prescribed or over the counter medications?
- Do you have a history of reactions to other drugs?
After determining which drug is the trigger for your allergic reactions, we may prescribe an alternative medication. Additional treatment includes antihistamines, corticosteroids or epinephrine depending on your symptoms. If there is no alternative to the medication that is causing your allergic reactions, a desensitization plan may be called for. To accomplish this, we will gradually introduce the medication in small doses until you are desensitized and no longer have a severe reaction.